Sylva-Bay Academy is proud to share their standings with MAIS. Sylva-Bay Academy has received an "AA" rating in Elementary and Secondary Education. Sylva-Bay Academy is also accredited with the Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (CASI), offering a unique opportunity for students in Jasper and surrounding counties to attend a dual-accredited school.
In order to obtain these excellent ratings, each member school must make application and meet minimum standards. Each year, the Accrediting Commission assigns rankings for the current year. The accrediting status is issued each year to accredited member schools, and is based on the level applied for and compliance with the standards assigned to that level. "AA" is the highest level of accreditation.
What is accreditation?
Accreditation is a way for a school to be known for the quality of its work. More than 100 years ago American universities needed to know which schools provided quality programs for its graduates. So they began the accreditation system. Today, universities, colleges, and employers are even more interested in knowing that students have been educated in quality schools.
Who provides accreditation?
Through AdvancED, the North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI) and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI) accredit 27,000 public and private schools and districts across the United States and in 69 countries worldwide, serving nearly 15 million students.
The Mississippi Association of Independent Schools is charged with accrediting schools, certifying teachers, organizing and overseeing athletic competition in 17 sports, and many other important functions for our schools.
What does accreditation mean to parents?
- A school’s accreditation lets parents and communities see the quality of the school. Student achievement, a safe and enriching learning environment, and an efficient operation must be shown.
What role do parents play in accreditation?
Parents can help by:
- Talking to other parents about the importance of education
- Joining the school’s improvement team
- Giving active feedback to the school through parent surveys, focus groups, and parent meetings
What are the benefits for students in an accredited school?
- Qualified teachers who are always working to improve their methods
- More focus on student learning
- Better coordination from one grade to another
- A rigorous, diverse, and sound curriculum based on state and national standards
- A range of student activities and support services
- Credits that transfer from school to school worldwide
- Eligibility for special programs, grants, and scholarships
- A commitment to continuous improvement on behalf of students
Sylva-Bay Academy currently has 9 staff members in place on our School Improvement Team (SIT). These staff members meet regularly to review standards and performance, and to plan strategies for ways to improve the quality of education at SBA. Parental and student input is encouraged. For more information on Sylva-Bay Academy’s K3-12 grade education system or to receive more information on SBA’s unique dual accreditation standings, please call 601-764-2157.